You thought you know everything there is to know about acoustic guitar? Well a lot of guitar players who call themselves pro have a lot of misconceptions about acoustic guitar. Surprisingly, these misconceptions include the most basic knowledge of acoustic guitars. Read on to find out things about acoustic guitar that you thought you knew but didn’t.
1. Playing acoustic guitar does not have negative effects on you body. Playing guitar benefits your body in a lot of ways, but not if you are doing with the wrong posture. One of the most basic things any guitar player should first learn is how to sit properly and to hold the guitar in a manner that will not stress nor strain your muscles. Improper posture while playing will harm you spine, arms, neck and shoulders. The damage will not manifest until a few months, so don’t say that you have not been warned
2. You don’t need to practice daily to build up your skills. Three hours a week is enough practice time to hone your skills. Simply put, you will only reap as much as you sow. This means that you learn the expertise at the rate that you are practicing.
3. The best guitars are the branded ones. Partly true because you get a guarantee from established guitar makers, but this does not mean to say that a non-branded guitar will not play at all. If you look hard enough, you can get guitars that are good but not necessarily expensive. For beginners, it’s still all about maintenance.
4. Humidity does not affect good guitars. The opposite, actually. The more expensive your guitar is, the more sensitive it is to the changes in the weather. Cheap guitars are made of dried out wood that could not get any drier while the good quality ones are made of high quality materials that easily react to weather conditions. It’s more like the need to use oil for a brand new luxury car.
5. There’s no preventing the strings from becoming rusty. This is partly true, but you can also prolong the lifespan of your strings by cleaning them with a lint free cloth and cleaning agents specially made for guitar strings.
The acoustic guitar is one musical instrument that has been around for hundreds of years, and will certainly remain for the next hundred years. Owing to its long history, there are always one or two interesting facts that about the instrument that you will bound to discover as you get to know the instrument better. May you find many more interesting discoveries as you continue to hone your guitar-playing techniques!